Wednesday, April 25, 2007

journey east: day 6

By this point we knew we weren't going to make it into the back country in any substantive way. We weren't prepared to tackle the Skoki Valley and most areas seemed, for the most part, to be closed. Besides, we now had a mission to complete: the recovery of Derek's Costanza-sized wallet.

Derek tucks his Costanza safely away
Derek tucks his wallet safely away. The final image proving the existence of Derek's wallet. How could you lose something that big?

June 7, 2006

We returned to the trailhead at Emerald Lake Lodge at the end of a day of hiking left with the unresolved issue of what happened to Derek's wallet. Having taken yesterday off, not without twangs of regret, I was both delighted (sorry Derek) and dismayed to hear Derek had lost his wallet, likely at a point not too far from the high point of Yoho Pass. Credit cards aside, Derek was in the habit of travelling with a hefty wad of cash and he wanted it back. In this case the loss of the wallet meant he was travelling a few-hundred dollars lighter. Ouch.

So we headed out in the morning to hike to Yoho Pass. Again. At least for me it was a bit of a reprieve. On the other hand, for Greg and Derek, it was likely a most unwelcome turn of events. Definitely so for Derek. I can just imagine the sinking feeling he has in the pit of his stomach. The irony is that Greg saw Derek's wallet on a snowy patch next to a log Derek was resting on, but didn't say anything. It was more of a hindsight recollection that came to him when the two hikers returned to Field at the end of the day to stock up on goodies and junk and Derek realized his wallet wasn't with him.

Emerald Basin
Looking north from the alluvial plain toward Emerald Basin.

Today was the hottest, sunniest day yet. Crossing the alluvial plain deposited by Emerald Glacier it was apparent the hiking ahead for us was going to be hot. Spring melt water flowed heavier than it had in October, the last time we were through the area. Close to two hours of hiking lay ahead of us as we climbed up and across a skree slope. Begetation was slowly creeping up the incline of jumbled boulders, stone and gravel. We marched through a couple of budding stands of what looked like aspen. Fir trees dotted the slope and plains below.

Derek and GT
Derek and Greg rest in the face of the President Range of mountains.

A litre of water was enough for all the hikes I had done to this point. Today I would use more. Walking up through the partial canopy of Yoho Pass the air cooled. It cooled because of the shade and because of the increasing amount of snow. Trudging through the crust of leftover winter snow I worked up a sweat. At times I was thigh deep in crystally white drifts littered with blackened pine needles and dirt. It was far from a winter wonderland but stunning none the less.

And it was a wonder to be there. I walked on ahead by myself while Greg and Derek searched futilely for the missing wallet. It was another few hundred metres to Yoho Lake and the campsite we had stayed at the previous summer. I came to the outhouse and soon was at the shore of the lake. The wind was gentle and I could hear birds in the forest.

I was the only soul in the area at it was wonderful. I wanted so badly to catch the colour of the water with my camera, but I don't think any image would do it justice. I looked at the water, thought about my half full bottle of water, and so wanted to drink straight from the lake. It looked so clear and pure. I didn't linger long. Time was short and I knew I should get back. As well the dreaded thought of meeting a hungry, grumpy bear rapidly played through my over-active imagination.

I talked to the woods on my way back through the crusty, unpredictable snow to where Greg and Derek were. They were still engaged in the great wallet hunt of '06. I was talking to the unseen creatures of the woods, letting them know I was there and hoping none would find my sound, or sight, appetizing. It was like I was walking through a stranger's campsite. I tried to walk casually.

We joined back up as a group, without the wallet, and headed back the way we had come. Once again we emerged onto the skree slope and it was like walking into an oven. We walked in the oven all the way back to the parking lot.

Mt. Burgess
Greg and Derek heading back to the parking lot. Mt. Burgess in the background.


No comments: