Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Last night

Standing on the balcony tonight it occured to me this was my last evening to take in the sight of Vancouver's skyline from our perch along the slopes of North Vancouver. Before we lived in this apartment, Meaghan and I looked out over Howe Sound. When we decided to move to North Vancouver we felt a sense of loss that our days would no longer begin and end with the stunning view of Anvil Island set against the southern edge of the Tantalus mountain range. We didn't expect the view from our new apartment to be nearly as stunning as that which we left, but it was. And now we're leaving that.
Our worldly belongings have been reduced to 30 boxes, 6 rubbermaid bins, 2 hutches, 2 sets of drawers, a coffee table, a desk, a kitchen table with four chairs, a stand for the tv and stereo, and our bed. Most if it has been relegated to what used to be our dining room (and I use that term loosely.) In a few days, movers will arrive and pack it into a truck for the long trip to New Brunswick. In the meantime, and for a period afterward, Meaghan and I will stay with family before she heads out by plane and still later I head out with the car.
In a sense, I'm glad we're moving across the country. I'd hate to imagine putting this much work into moving across town. The packing and inventoring has been laborious. On the bright side, we have probably rid ourselves of four or five large boxes of apparently useless clutter and we'll be starting relatively fresh at the other end.

1 comment:

GMD said...

It was a pretty good view.