Sunday, May 14, 2006

wtf?

I had a short yet insightful talk with Meaghan tonight. It's remarkable that for 38 years I have wandered the planet, well mainly Canada and even then just little bits of it, and haven't really understood what it's all about.

People I know, many whom I know really quite well, consider me to be an intelligent fellow. Well, I have news for them: I'm not. Not in the sense people usually equate intelligence with. I may notice things and I certainly have an inate curiosity about the world, people and events around me, but on the whole, I consider myself to be rather thick, as it were.

Case in point, and this gets us back to the talk Meaghan and I had this evening. It never occured to my that the dreams I have and hold, of things I'd like to do in life, are attainable dreams. I never saw a relationship between dreams and goals. Dreams have always been nothing more than dreams; ideals thrown about my head of things I'd love to do, that certainly occured to me as being doable, by someone with the requisite skills, but never as accomplishments that could be completed by me. And this is the part that hooks into the bit above about spending 38 years lost in the wilderness.

I think I finally get it.

For years I've thought it would be nice to write travel books about the Maritimes. Hiking and camping to be specific, but in a general sense I've wanted to communicate through words and images the beauty of the Maritimes in a manner that compels others to come to this region to explore, and to provide concise information that will facilitate such a journey. It never occured to me that I could actually go beyond the wish and actually do it. That is until tonight.

For those of you who know me and are reading this you may think the idea is patently obvious. Well, good for you. For me it is a remarkable revelation and I now feel driven to get going on it.

Hooray for me, I finally have a goal to call my own.

No comments: