Wednesday, June 13, 2007

journey east: day 26 - Fredericton

I missed a few days of journalling. A lot of days actually. In fact I pretty much skipped the journal for the last week of my trip. The reasons are explained in my final entry, though I can chalk it up mostly to laziness. Possibly beer and scotch too.

However, to say I stopped recording the highlights and observations of my journey once I left Bruce Peninsula National Park wouldn't be an accurate statement. Of course I was still taking photos which, if anything, offer a condensed though concise narration of my journey. Therefore I offer to my many readers, all three of you near as I can tell, a photo essay of the last leg of my journey. At the end, where it duly belongs, is my last journal entry.

This journey east served many purposes. The pragmatice reasoning behind the whole venture was a transition from one place to another: the departure from Vancouver and ultimate arrival in Fredericton. But along the way, along the thin line I travelled from point A to B, the journey was about discovering and connecting with the people and places in between. For a month I was in an odd sort of purgatory, in between one life and another, that was at once pleasant and uncomfortable.

It was pleasant because I knew there were faces along the way waiting to see me. I knew there were spaces I wanted to explore, that were open to exploration, and that were offering surprises to my open mind. It was pleasant because I never once wondered what the hell I was doing. But it was uncomfortable, not because I spent hours a day confined to a car, but because as the hours stretched into days, and the days into weeks, I came to understand there was no way in hell I could ever see it all. Even if I made it my life's pursuit to do so. Canada is like infinity: it's easy to talk about, and think you know about, but when you really put the effort into conceptualizing it something snaps inside your brain. Canada is beyond description, beyond understanding, beyond explanation.

Day 20: June 21, 2006
Perdue farm
On my journey I spent time with both family and friends. But I also found time for fake family. Sharon's mom lives in the farm the Perdue family has worked for a century in Chatsworth, Ontario. I stopped in to have coffee and cake with her on the afternoon I left Bruce Peninsula.

Connor and Charlotte
I stayed with Charlotte, her son Connor and her mother Faye(not shown) in Barrie, Ontario. Charlotte and I were best friends in high school and she's one of the only people from that era I'm still connected with. It was nice to finally meet Connor. It's not often you get to spend the night in a five-year-old's room for the night.

Day 21: June 22, 2006
Muchmusic
I spent two action packed days in Toronto. Sharon and I went for a couple of beers before dinner. The few hours I spent with her was one of the highlights of my journey east. It had been a year and a bit, or more, since she moved from Vancouver and it was nice to chill with her. Oddly enough, I didn't take a photo of her. But we did go for a walk after dinner and stumbled across MuchMusic's HQ along the way. Notice the street it's on.

Day 22: June 23,2006
breakfast at Johnny Gs
Johnny G's is where Graeme and I had breakfast while in Toronto. I stayed with him at his place in Cabbagetown. I think if I lived in Toronto I would like to live in that area of town. The community has character in its buildings, its businesses, and most of all in its people.

Day 23: June 24, 2006

Graeme joined me for the last leg of my trip to Fredericton. I can't see for certain the last time we might have travelled together, but it could have been on our family trip to Newfoundland in 1976. Thirty years ago and I hadn't really thought about it at the time.

On the way out of Toronto we stopped in to see Beth, our cousin, and her husband Stephen and their two daughters Anna and Leah. They were in the final stages of packing their house up for a move to Kingston. Apparently our timing was impeccable and Graeme and I were put to work on some heavy lifting. Thanks for the coffee guys.

From there it was on to the 401 headed for Montreal. Along the way we stopped in for a bowl of fresh picked strawberries at Mary and Ross's home in Cobourg. Mary is mom's sister and I hadn't seen any of the McDonalds in close to 15 years. The strawberries were nice and it was good to connect with them again.

Montreal
Gordon Krieger moved in two houses down from me on Francklyn Street when I was three and he was two. At the time, and for years afterward, Gordon was known as Twoey. The previous November I had dinner with him in Vancouver. That was the first I had seen him in a really long time. Probably the same amount of time since I had last seen the McDonalds. We stayed with him while in Montreal(these are the stairs to his place) and again it was a nice reunion.

I have to say this about Montrealers: they know how to give 'er when driving. The Montreal Grand Prix was held that weekend and when we hit the highways running into the city, four narrow lanes of twisted concrete and potholes, everyone seemed to be driving for the checkered flag. I'm of the understanding that Grand Prix or not, Montrealers adopt a certain joie de vivre when they get behind the wheel. It was not for the faint of heart.

Day 24: June 25,2006

We didn't linger long in Montreal. In the morning we were on the road again. Originally I had planned a stay along Le Chemin du Roy, or Kings Highway, running from Montreal to Quebec City. But by this time on the journey I was getting a little road weary so we took the old road only halfway, to Trois-Rivieres, before crossing the St. Lawrence River and hopping back on the Trans Canada Highway. Our pace was quickened and we bypassed Quebec City and headed for the New Brunswick border.

De la République Provincial Park
My last night spent on the road we stayed at De la Republique campground just outside Edmundston. The beer was moderately cold. The mosquitoes were manageable. The firewood was burnable (which isn't always the case.) And life was feeling pretty good.

Day 25: June 26, 2006
john coming over the hill
From Edmunston it was a liesurely trip through New Brunswick's country-side. This is the only photo taken along the way which wasn't shot by me. Thanks Graeme. By mid-afternoon we were in Fredericton. The long journey east was over.

June 27, 2006

So, here I am, my first full day in Fredericton. I'm a little at a loss for what to do with myself and have a few weeks and months ahead to adjust to my new surroundings. I'm happy to be here and it was a sweet reunion with Meaghan. One month and three days passed between two kisses: one at her departure, and one upon my arrival.

My writing suffered toward the end of the trip. Time in Barrie with Charlotte was limited, so visiting took precedent over journalling. Time in Toronto, though two-days long, was compressed as well. Then an evening in Montreal and another in Edmundston, New Brunswick. I think by that last night my brain was a little frazzled in anticipation of the following day's arrival in Fredericton.

Life here with Meaghan's father will take some adjusting to. No longer will Meaghan and I have the freedom and privacy of our own place. James is a great guy, but he has his own peculiarities that will take some getting used to.

I have yet to get out to explore the city. That will come once Graeme is off to Halifax, tomorrow.

No comments: