Thursday, June 21, 2007

wct04 - day three

August 18, 2004

This has been a remarkable day. I’m not sure where to begin. The morning began with eagles in a tree … skip it, how do I describe so many things? Do I need to? I do.
Of course, I didn't describe all the things I saw, though I did take photos. This was the first day I was feeling comfortable with a pack on my back. My spirits were up and there was a bit of a spring to my step. I think starting each day with a healthy dose of calcium and ibuprofin went a long way to keeping my body feeling good. The number of photos I took compared to the previous two days is a telling sign of how much better I was feeling. I shot most of two rolls of film.

I am sitting under the stars near a fire. I have a makeshift desk to write on made from a toilet seat lid propped up on a log. It worked quite well for the Yahtzee we just played. It was my first game ever and I threw a Yahtzee. What a coup. My throat hurt from laughing so hard. I went on to win the game. What are the odds? (and of course I am writing all this on a toilet seat lid.)
Not only did I win the first game, and roll a Yahtzee along the way, I finished with an admirable 315. Miraculously, I went on to roll Yahtzee again in the second and third games. I mentioned in my first post this hike along the West Coast Trail was the beginning of a tradition. Part of that tradition is the playing of Yahtzee. I remember feeling a sense of glee sitting on the beach that crystal clear night, playing Yahtzee by the fire. It was some sort of crazy magic and in one moment I knew I wanted to do this more often. I never asked Greg or Derek, but to me that night stands out as part of the motivation behind making these hikes an annual event.

Today we walked along the beach. A lot. At times we gingerly crossed flat sandstone ledges and at other times we walked on sand. There were different types and qualities of sand. Some was loose and similar in size to pea-gravel, less sand than pebbles, while other sand was fine and well compacted, making for easy hiking.

bridge 81
We hiked in the forest for a while as well. This is looking back at bridge 81.
Early in the day we came to the legendary restaurant on the beach. Not quite midway through the hike, it offers a reminder of things left behind; like meat dishes and cold alcoholic beverages. Set up on some of the first nations land the trail passes through, the restaurant isn't much more than vapour barrier wrapped around a light wooden frame. Inside, food is prepared in a kitchen with a sand floor. I only thought once about the cleanliness of the place before I had a burger and a beer. I don't imagine a health inspector is out very often, but I managed to survive the experience.

view from my tent
The view from my tent at the end of day three.

I can hear waves crash in the darkness. Pounding and foaming the surges sweep swiftly back down the beach and disappear.

Tonight we are very close to the half-way mark of the trail, camped on the beach. We are somewhere between km 38 and 37. What we will encounter tomorrow, who knows?

I miss you Meaghan. I want to share this with you. It’s something different.
sunset
Sunset.

Goodnight.

No comments: