Friday, December 24, 2004

Merry Christmas

In explaining why there were three men riding camels on a church roof I recently told an abreviated Christ the saviour story, with full caveats on the plausibility of it happening that way, to a four year old. That was a challenge. I have no children of my own, but borrow a friend's once a week because I really like hanging out with him, and realized as I entered into the conversation that I was talking my way through a mine-field.

No one blew up and in the end I was advised by the four year old that I should tell the story to his father, because it was a nice story and he thought his dad would like it.

Shopping for a Christmas card this afternoon (last minute options are terribly limited - ugh) and came across an interesting category: Patriotic. The card shown was of a snowman waving an American flag and I damn near went apoplectic with anger.

Of course it would be an American flag because there is no patriotism in Canada. This isn't a bad thing per se, we are quiet nationalists as a people, so I should have guessed before even reaching for the card that it would be American. It felt a little as a slap in the face to see this on a shelf in Vancouver. Does Hallmark have no sense of decency?

Mind you, only in Canada will you find a Canadiana section in bookstores.

Christmas is here once again. Not xmas, but Christmas. I am tired of laziness and seven second sound bites.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You rock, Little Bit Man!!!!