Saturday, December 18, 2004

TeamEllen et al


Last summer, graeme came to visit. While he was here, he talked about golf. Rather, he talked about following golf, not about the game itself. I half sneered at the idea: following golf.

Then I thought about the late nights and early mornings I spent watching F1 racing, Pre-CART Indy series racing, and even NASCAR. The same sort of detached spectator sportsmanship found in race car racing is found in golf. more importantly I was following a sport that many others likely would half sneer at. Why not?

Two weeks ago I received an email from graeme with a link to a
website he was following. TeamEllen.com. A british woman sailing solo around the world in a bid to break a speed record. Now, I'm hooked. It's like the golf thing. I might try to explain the game, but I can't, so I'll explain how I follow the game. Teach a man to fish and all.

The
Vendee Globe 2004 is being raced right now too. Also an around the world solo sailing competition. the lead sailboats have cleared the southern tip of Australia and will steadily begin to ease north.

Thanks a lot.

No comments: